#10 Engaging a global PLN

MO AMIR (https://twitter.com/vancolour) connects his PLN to a global perspective in launching his podcast. He is a Podcast host on ThisIsVanColour, a commentator on CHEK NEWS, and a bunch of other fun stuff, however, his food on the table happens to be a general manager at a family business in Lumber with his family along with a lot of other business-related areas. His spectrum of PLN exists along a big Venn of how he uses these different platforms to extend his feet and dip into the depths of community and topics of passion.

How he indulges is intriguing, he does not track downloads and aims to keep the content of his podcast to be very personalized and not tuned to his online cookies or own biases. Further more, he also goes global in terms of iTunes. Being more accessible and reaching new heights on charts, has expanded his audience and allowed him to be recognizable in other countries/areas.

Additionally, vanity, talking about yourself, giving yourself a space in the world, and reclaiming that. Having almost done 100 episodes, Mo talks about how sometimes we should take credit and acknowledge how we have made it, and building healthy relationships among other social media was important to him.

He realizes how Twitter, is a big community with lots of local audiences. Creating this network, allowed him to be more involved and more access and connections he wants.

In time, being patient and consistent with passion allows space for him (us) and his audience to feed and create perspectives, added value, and opinions while creating a conversation piece.

Would I use my PLN post-course? would it allow me to pursue a professional career?

I certainly would. I have already begun using my PLN’s to help create awareness regarding Trauma. Trauma is a big topic that I intend to shed more light on as I navigate through my personal and professional career. I have begun using my social media platforms to write and share my perspective on it. Twitter, for example, is one of the PLN’s that I use currently to post a short thread on neuro-ception. The engagement from it has been growing and staying consistent with the little threads has shown how consistency creates an audience. Audience then creates an opinion/perspective which stirs more conversation. Looking at a podcast, book, social media influencer could be an option too. Being a student/immigrant diverse in a personal portfolio allows more people who can relate to coming together and feel more empowered.

Any person who faces a disadvantage due to any reason related to
poor education, gender, ethnicity, aging, disabilities, scarce resources, or residence in remote regions is entitled to take advantage of technology and bypass the sociocultural digital divide

CHAPTER FIVE From Information Society to Network Society: The Challenge
https://link-springer-com.ezproxy.library.uvic.ca/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-02490-5

1. haixujiang

Hi Yoghini, I agree with you that social media platforms have created a more conducive environment for people to connect and build relationships. The online network is now a global village where everyone expresses him or her without bias, makes an audience and, creates a perspective to start a conversation. The network helps people understand and appreciate perspectives of others on different issues. One can use the PLN’s dialogue to sensitize people on general concerns and solve problems.

• yoghinik

Absolutely, I love that approach. I agree, a global village and to help “educate”/ spread awareness. Thank you for your input.